29 June 2023
Is Britain ready for hydrogen blending?
In this episode of Decarb Discussions, we discuss the challenges, opportunities and considerations that need to be given around introducing a hydrogen blend into the natural gas network.
Hydrogen blending holds real promise and potential to help decarbonise Britain’s gas network. Blending up to 20% hydrogen into the gas grid with existing natural gas could save around 6 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions every year - the equivalent of taking 2.5 million cars off the road.*
But what does blending hydrogen involve? What steps need to be taken to encourage a hydrogen economy? And what impact will hydrogen have on both consumers and industry?
Hosted by Victoria Mustard, Decarbonisation Strategy Lead, Xoserve
- James Earl, Director of Gas at the Energy Networks Association
- Megan Bray, Market Development Lead at National Gas
- Bethan Winter, System Operations Manager at Wales & West Utilities
- Joel Martin, Biomethane Connections Manager at SGN
In this episode we will cover:
- What is meant by hydrogen blending
- How hydrogen blending will affect consumer appliances
- Why hydrogen blending hasn’t yet been introduced to the gas network
- The reason it’s so critical industry is engaged on this topic
- Where hydrogen blending will begin, and how it can be delivered at scale
- How a blended approach will work in the current energy market
- What differences consumers can expect to their bills
- Why consumers and industry should be supporting hydrogen blending
Decarb Discussions: Dedicated podcasts exploring the road to net zero for the gas industry.
To access our latest episode, or to view a full list of others across the series, click the link below.
Get in touch
To learn more about how Xoserve supports the decarbonisation of gas, make sure you subscribe to our DeliveringDecarb monthly newsletter.
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions for our Decarbonisation Team, please email us.
Share this news article