29 March 2023
Decarb Discussions podcast - How can biomethane help us achieve a net zero gas grid?
Victoria Mustard speaks to an industry expert about the role of biomethane in decarbonising our gas grid.
In our latest podcast, Decarbonisation Lead Victoria Mustard talks to a leading figure on biomethane within the gas industry.
John Baldwin is CNG Services’ Managing Director and along with his organisation, holds a wealth of knowledge on biomethane production and injection.
Traditionally, biogas has been extracted from organic waste and burned to generate electricity.
Now, with more electricity coming from renewables, there is the chance to give new purpose to biogas. It can be upgraded to biomethane, which can be injected into the gas grid to heat our buildings in a more sustainable way.
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- biomethane generation and its role in the net zero transition
- opportunities for developing the biomethane sector between now and 2050
- the best applications for biomethane, and why injecting biomethane in the gas grid represents a virtuous example of circular economy
- what support is available for biomethane producers
- how the gas industry can support the growth of the biogas sector
- why it’s crucial to improve the existing planning process to inject biomethane into the grid
- how biomethane can co-exist with other ways of decarbonising the grid, such as hydrogen and electrification initiatives
Decarb Discussions: Dedicated podcasts exploring the road to net zero for the gas industry.
To access our latest episode, or to view a full list of others across the series, click the link below.
Get in touch
To learn more about how Xoserve supports the decarbonisation of gas, make sure you subscribe to our DeliveringDecarb monthly newsletter.
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions for our Decarbonisation Team, please email us.
Share this news article